Sunday, February 5, 2012

Funny How Reflection Works


So in my last post, I talked about the idea of love being the constant…How if love is the constant then the experience of losing love is never 100% real. Yes, relationships do end, but the memory and the spirit of those relationships still live through the emotions that we’ve attached to them. Thus, we are always connected to the love we once shared with that someone else. This concept got me to thinking about my own personal relationships, and how some have met their demise, and how some I hope to have forever. It also got me thinking about the relationship that I have with myself…. Huh.. it feels a bit awkward to say that…

The relationship that I have with myself.


 I know everyone always preaches on the importance of having self respect, and loving who you are as an individual, but what they often leave out is how much easier said than done that acceptance of self really is. No one really ever talks about the importance of the journey. Or how hard it may be to truly love who you are as a person, and be proud of what you have to offer life. I think to love yourself is to first know yourself.

Frankly, it’s the knowing yourself that I think is most confusing. I am at the stage in my life where I feel somewhat at a loss. Like there is something more out there for me, yet I’m not sure what it is… but I’m confident that is there. I’m longing to connect with passion, with something that motivates me to want to do more.. to be more. But yet I feel somewhat betrayed by my own interests.  It’s almost as though they are the source of my confusion. I don’t know what interest to pick.. which one is really worth the investment. My mind races with the “what if’s” and the “should I’s”, and in all of the chaos I can’t help but think.. do I really know myself?
I’m brought back to the question of the constant.

If I work on cultivating, nurturing, and growing the love and appreciation I have for myself, maybe self-doubt will subside. Maybe clarity is in the constant of the love I have for me. Perhaps love for self is where the confidence to pursue dreams lies. It seems that Michael had a point.. the place to start to see change is with the (wo)man in the mirror. I get it… and in being real with me, I know this whole journey to self awareness and enlightenment is not going to happen by osmosis. It’s going to take work. But I am declaring today, Thursday Feb 2, 2012 at 9:38 pm, I’m willing to put in the time. To truly appreciate who I am as an individual… With special emphasis on appreciate –  defined as to value or regard highly; to place a high estimate on.

One of my favorite quotes of all time is by the philosopher Socrates who said “the unexamined life is not worth living”. This saying is one that has always resonated with me. And in my new awareness, I can proudly say that my mantra for this year of self reflection is to simply.. Take time to get to know you, invest in your happiness, and appreciate all things that are uniquely you. Remember that it’s the beauty of your uniqueness that sets you apart..and it’s your understanding that will provide you with clarity. Hold to the constant.. the constant being love.

Today I’ve birthed a new perspective…

No comments:

Post a Comment